The monthly Android Pie security update for March 2019 from Google is available right now. It fixes many potential security shortcomings like previous updates in the Android OS which could be exploited by hackers and malicious programs.
Though these fixes apply to all Android Pie devices, the January Update also has Pixel 3 and 3 XL specific fixes which are reported to bring improved audio quality for video recording. The update began rolling out to all devices recently.
But the users have not yet received any notification to update. In such a case the users can actually side load and manually install the update themselves. It is really better to get the security fixes immediately than simply waiting for the update notification to pop up.
How can you manually install Android Pie Updates?
Even before you update it to your phone, you need to download and install it on your PC with proper settings optimized. Then it can be transferred to the device.
- First of all download the proper OTA file for your specified Android device to your PC from the Google developer site.
- Next go ahead and download the ADB and Fastboot to your PC. Then follow ADP installation and set up guide for your PC’s operating system. At first glance, this may seem complicated but the actual process is simple and straight forward and will take only a few minutes to complete. Also you can follow the installation method on the XDA Developers page for ADB. This process is a bit different but ultimately does the same thing.
After you have the ADB installed and configured on your PC and the OTA file downloaded, the users can now begin the update process on their Android device by booting it in the following steps:
- First turn off your Android device then turn it back on by pressing the power button and the volume down button simultaneously to boot into the Bootloader Settings. Now when the Bootloader settings appear, the users have to use the volume keys to scroll between the options till Recovery Mode is highlighted. Then the users have to quickly have to press the power button to select it.
- The users will get to see an image of the Android mascot lying down with a red error icon, when they first enter the recovery mode with the words No Command highlighted on the screen. When they see this, the users will have to press and hold the power button for some time and then press the volume up button. This will take you to the Recovery mode menu.
- Use the volume keys to scroll down to Apply Update from ADB and just tap the power button to select it.
- Now connect your Android device to your PC through USB cable.
- After everything is properly configured, you will see a process bar on your android device showing the update’s installation progress.
- After the update is complete, reboot. Your device will then restart and boot up normally with the update file applied.